Roleplay before features

Ruskie

Supporter
Supporter
Make sure that feature-rich doesn't mean burdening. Essentially, any player that logs on should have the means that facilitate roleplay and player interaction first and foremost. All the other features, while obviously needed later on, should take a second row seat to roleplay.

Ideally, when anybody logs in, he should be able to tell the story of his character without any limitations like hunger/thirst/anything RPG-ish or if they exist, he should be able to hastily get rid of them. Deducting time from player interactions in favor of scripted experiences will certainly take from the overall experience and it will make the whole thing feel empty as people run all over the map, spamming commands and trying to get the biggest castle first (or what have you xd).

Reyo

Staff member
Fair points, Ruskie.

I do agree with you on facilitating roleplay and player interaction as it's something we do aim to establish. Though, rpg-like systems and features will be here to cater to the well-being and expandability of roleplay and not replace the simple means of roleplay itself.

The server aims to be potentially full of opportunities and interesting concepts like the aforementioned - help the character cater a more believable and immersive status of being in Flintwhenia. Also, we are aiming to trash commands, as they are not so easy to remember and can get messy when they pile up. Instead, a screen-click based feature to fasten functionality and avoid having to pile up commands.

But yeah, other than that looking forward to what others think.

Ruskie

Supporter
Supporter
Yeah, we talked more on this subject in the Discord channel and we got to a consensus. As long as the concepts are implemented to go hand-in-hand with roleplaying and not be a totally separate avenue, everything is perfect.

Dedek

Such systems should not stand in the way of roleplay, I can agree with that. However, you can say "It stands in the way of RP" about almost everything that is scripted. The thing is that some systems, albeit limiting at first glance, actually push players in the right direction resulting in more RP and lively environment. While thirst-hunger system might be seen as limiting to RP, it can, if executed well, create an environment in which players are actively growing, trading, buying food and generally add to the economic system and player interaction.

Growing crops could also be utilized in systems where you for example, rule a county and you have hired NPCs to do work. You would have to provide them with not only with some form of payment but also food. Then there is a potential to make castles and cities have a storage of food which will dictate how long they can survive under a siege, I'm sure developers incorporated hunger-thirst system in a way that does not stand in the way of RP.

Petros

Guys, Don't make the server full of NPC, I saw many servers with very good scripts and players but their NPCs break Immersion...
I was excited until I saw Ubbin falls lore, Few minutes ago...Ubbin is a NPC in the first spawn point :( for newbies, I'm saying delete that.
We need Immersion; Delete that NPC and just set few spawn points in places with Immersion, Like Beach and few boats near it and The Pinewood market etc. It makes sense I guess.

Reyo

Staff member
Guys, Don't make the server full of NPC, I saw many servers with very good scripts and players but their NPCs break Immersion...
I was excited until I saw Ubbin falls lore, Few minutes ago...Ubbin is a NPC in the first spawn point :( for newbies, I'm saying delete that.
We need Immersion; Delete that NPC and just set few spawn points in places with Immersion, Like Beach and few boats near it and The Pinewood market etc. It makes sense I guess.
Someone has been digging in the lore archive... Interesting touch to things. Not to worry though. The Ubbin Lytton NPC character was (I say was because it was an beta idea) a feature supposed to be included in the duration throughout the tutorial (training camp) in which he speaks and tutors the player spawning in for the tutorial.

You say delete this and delete that but haven't asked what the purpose of it may be.

Anyhow no clear information to how this NPC system will actually function, it's been mentioned a few times on trello but not in full detail. Nor it has not been started on. Meaning it's important to not assume and await an official response from the Development.

Pyromancer

Such systems should not stand in the way of roleplay, I can agree with that. However, you can say "It stands in the way of RP" about almost everything that is scripted. The thing is that some systems, albeit limiting at first glance, actually push players in the right direction resulting in more RP and lively environment. While thirst-hunger system might be seen as limiting to RP, it can, if executed well, create an environment in which players are actively growing, trading, buying food and generally add to the economic system and player interaction.

Growing crops could also be utilized in systems where you for example, rule a county and you have hired NPCs to do work. You would have to provide them with not only with some form of payment but also food. Then there is a potential to make castles and cities have a storage of food which will dictate how long they can survive under a siege, I'm sure developers incorporated hunger-thirst system in a way that does not stand in the way of RP.
What I'm going to say might not be involved one hundred percent with the suggestion itself, but I felt the need and urge to say something here. I somehow support Dedek's second paragraph in a way. I knew a lot of servers, unique servers that died just because there was no goal to be achieved, and when people don't have goals or something they're attached to. They stop caring and things get bored, so - what I'm saying is, if Barons or Counts had constant jobs to do like making sure their storage foods are always enough, it'll keep them focused in the game. Plus, in factions such roles like Treasurer and whatnot will actually mean something instead of being just RP'ed, a little touch of scripting could really change people's mentality and will.

In order to keep your castle, or city full of stock. Some sort of weekly mission must be accomplished by the faction. It's like some sort of gang meeting in plain English, and somehow an event to the community, raids can happen sometimes that could bring RP upon both sides.. It doesn't necessarily need to be done weekly, but the stock starts decreasing slowly and becomes really low after a week. Faction members can do deliveries themselves throughout the week and whenever they think it should be done.